Yes that’s right. I took an English Classic and gave it a Greek twist.
Although most say, ‘don’t fix what aint broken’…sometimes it’s refreshing to take a classic and turn it on it’s head. I created this recipe one lazy Sunday at home. It received warm reviews, even from my Yiayia (Grandmother)! And that’s saying something.
- 125g self-rasing flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g margarine
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 6 dried figs – thinly chopped
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- Juice of one large lemons
- Cinnamon to taste
- Fig jam (or jam of your choice)
- Runny honey
- Crushed pistachio nuts
- Pre-heat the oven 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Mix the butter & sugar together until pale
- Beat in the two medium eggs & lemon juice
- Add the flour and diced figs then fold.
- Butter the two baking tins
- Evenly add the mixture to the two tins
- Bake in the oven for 20-25mins
- Meanwhile, mix the marscapone cheese with the lemon juice & cinnamon
- Once the bake is cool – add the filling &jam
- Sandwich together the sponges
- Drizzle the honey all over the sponge and sprinkle on the pistachio nuts.
Voila! Now share with your friends and family. Afternoon tea will never be the same.
Share your bakes with me @LadyGreek on Twitter/ Instagram